- Basic mittens:
You will need 6 oz of bulky weight
yarn for the mittens Using your # 10 ½ needles cast on 22 sts. Work these 22
sts in rib st k 1, p 1, * till work measures 2”
Gage worked on # 101/2, knitting needles: 6sts. = 2” 7 rows= 2”
- Using your # 10 1/2 needles cast on 22
sts. Work these 22 sts in rib st k 1, p 1, * till work measures 2”
- Row 1:
Mitten body, k 1, inc 1 st in next st, k 18,
inc 1 st in next st, k 1. Total of 24 sts on needle.
- Row 2:
K across 24 sts,
- Row 3:
P across 24 sts,
- Row 4:
K across 24 sts
- Row 6:
- Row 7:
K 11, place st marker, inc 1 st in each of
next 2 sts, this is the beginning of your thumb gusset. Place marker, k 1.
Total 26 sts on your needle. (4 sts between markers)
- Row 8:
P across all 26 sts.
- Row 9:
K 11, inc 1 st in 1st after
marker, k 2, inc 1st in st before marker, k 11, 6 sts. between
- Row 10:
P across all 28 sts.
- Continue in this manner till there are
12 sts between markers.
- Then purl across all 34 sts.
- Next row:
K 11, place the 12 sts between markers on a
st holder, k 11. Then p, across the 22 sts left on your needles to start the
- Work in stockenette st, k 1 row p 1 row
till work measures 5” or desired length.
- Begin decreasing by knitting 2 together
across row . You will have 11 sts on needle.
- Next row:
P 2 together across row. There will be 1 odd
st at the end you will have 6 sts on your needle.
- Measure off approx. 36” of your yarn from
your work to the skein and cut it. Thread your yarn needle and pass the yarn
through theses 6 sts weave the yarn needle into your work to hold it in
place while you finish the thumb.
- Place the 12 thumb sts from st holder
onto your knitting needle. Join a new piece of yarn at the edge of gusset.
Work thumb in stockenette st until work measures 2 ½” . Then k 2 tog across
- Next row :
P 2 tog, across. Measure off approx. 18
inches of yarn and cut. Place the 3 remaining sts on st holder.
- Turn mitten inside out. Go to yarn needle
at bottom of hand section. Draw the yarn tight on the 6 sts then sew up the
side of mitten.
Easy 2 Needle Mitten
- This easy mitten pattern can be made up in
an evening or two and is a great way to use up those small amounts of yarn you've got laying
about. I used the same honeycomb pattern that is used on the front panel of the sweater. So if you've
made the sweater this is a perfect match.
you will need:
- 1: 4oz 4-ply knitting
- 2: 1 pair size 7 knitting
- 3: 1 yarn needle
- 4: Small st holder or large
- St = stitch, Cb4 = cable back 4 sts, Cf4 =
cable front 4 sts, K 2 tog = knit 2 sts from L hand needle as 1 on R hand
needle, P 2 tog = purl 2 sts as above.
- Gage is 8 sts = 2 inches 13 rows = 2 inches
- Honeycomb pattern panel (this panel is
always worked between 2 purl sts and is worked over 8 rows)
- as follows:
- Row 1: K 16.
- Row 2: P 16.
- Row 3: Cb4, cf4, cb4, cf4.
- Row 4: P 16.
- Row 5: K 16.
- Row 6: P 16.
- Row 7: Cf4, cb4, cf4, cb4.
- Row 8: P 16.
- Left Mitten:
- Begin by casting on 40 sts, work these 40 sts in ribbing as
- Row 1: K 1, p 1.
- Row 2: K 1, p 1 until work measures 2 1/2".
- Now work hand:
- Row 1: K 16, p 2, k 16, p 2, k 4.
- Row 2: P 4, k 2, p 16, k 2, p 16.
- Row 3: K 16, p 2, cb4, cf4, cb4,
cf4, p 2, k 4.
- Row 4: P 4, k 2, p 16, k 2, p 16.
- Row 5: K 13, place a marker on your
needle, inc 1st in each of the next 2 sts. There will be 4 sts
- between markers. This is the start of your
thumb gusset. K 1, you will now have 18 sts on your L
- hand needle. P 2, k 16, p 2, k 4.
- Row 6: P 4, k 2, p 16, k 2, p 18.
- Row 7: K 13, pass marker to your R hand needle, inc
1 st in next st, k 2, inc 1 st in next st
- pass marker, k 1, p 2, cf4, cb4, cf4, cb4, p 2, k 4.
- Row 8: Same as row 4 purling all
- Continue in this manner increasing 2 sts
each knit row till you have 16 sts between markers.
- Place these 16 sts on st holder or safety
pin. Turn your work and cast 2 sts onto your L hand
- needle. Turn your work and work these 2
sts onto your R hand needle. Continue across row in
- pattern. You should now have 40 sts on
your needles. Continue to work these sts till work
- measures 5 1/2 inches from bottom of
thumbhole. Then starting with a k row k 2 tog to end
- of row. Next row, k 2 tog to end of row.
Measure off about 2 foot or yarn from work and cut.
- Attach yarn needle to yarn and pass it
through sts remaining on needle. Pull tight and make a
- small knot leaving remaining yarn to sew
up side later.
- With right side of work facing you. With tip of L hand
needle pick up a st from L side of
- thumbhole, pass 16 sts from holder onto needle. Pick up 1
st from R side of thumbhole you
- should now have 18 sts on your needle. Attach yarn and work
theses 18 sts in stockinet st till
- thumb measures 2 3/4 inches. Then k 2 tog 8 times k 1. Turn
and p 2 tog 4 times p 1. Measure
- off 1 foot of yarn and cut, proceed as for hand section.
- Sew up hand to cuff. Sew up thumb. If you find you still
have a small opening at base
- of thumb weave a little of the yarn through the sts to
- Right Mitten:
- Cast on 40 sts and work in ribbing as for L mitten.
- Set pattern as follows:
- Row 1: K 4, p 2, k 16, p 2, k 16.
- Row 2: P 16, k 2, p 16, k 2, p 4.
- Row 3: K 4, p 2, cb 4, cf 4, cb 4, cf 4, p 2, k 16.
- Row 4: P 16, k 2, p 16, k 2, p 4.
- Row 5: K 4, p 2, k 16, p 2, k 1, place a marker on
your needle. Inc1 st in
- each of the next 2 sts place a marker on your needle, k 13.
You should now
- have 42 sts on your needle.
- Row 6: P 18, k 2, p 16, k 2, p 4.
- Row 7: K 4, p 2, cf4, cb4, cf4, cb4, p 2, k 1, inc 1
in next st, k 2, inc 1 in next st k 13.
- Row 8: P 20, k 2, p 16, k 2, p 4.
- Continue in this manner till there is 16 sts between
markers as for left mitten,
- place on holder and pick up 2 edge sts etc. Maintain panel
pattern and finish
- as with left mitten.
- I hope you enjoy this mitten pattern.
I have tried to keep it as simple as possible.
- If you have my book you may want to
review the lesson on use of the cable needle
- and proofing your gage so don't
forget to make up a gage swatch.
If you would like a printed out copy of this pattern please
send $1.00 US and a
Self Addressed Stamped Envelope to me at the below address,